The Haarlem Jamborette is a large international camp that takes place for 10 days in Holland every 4 years. Hatch Warren Scouts have been attending the Jamborette for many years. The next camp is in 2019. Details will be circulated nearer the time.
This camp gives the us a chance to travel overseas, meet up with thousands of other Scouts, take part in a large range of activities such as large pioneering, sailing, craft, explore foreign cities, zip-lines and a Theme Park.
There are also several parties throughout the camp including fantastic opening and closing ceremonies. For everyone who attends, it is likely to be the highlight of their time in Scouts!
You can find the Haarlem Jamborette website at: http://www.haarlemjamborette.
- It is a camp for around 3,500 Scouts from anywhere in the world.
- Takes place in the Spaarnwoude nature area between Amsterdam & Haarlem, Holland.
- They already have participants from UK, Holland, Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg, Denmark, Turkey, Sweden, Finland, Austria, Switzerland, Slovenia, Italy, Malta, Russia, America, Canada, Israel, India & Ghana!!
- Themed: Each year there is a different theme. 2015 was Cartoon your Camp.
- We camp as a Troop in our own small area of the Green Sub-camp, one of four sub-camps.
- The Scouts cook for themselves using the food provided daily by the camp Food Services team, catering for any dietary requirements they are told about.
- Each Sub-camp has toilet and shower facilities and there is a central First Aid/Medical centre with Doctors & Nurses on hand to deal with any issues that cannot be dealt with ourselves.
- 2019 Dates: 28th July – 6th August 2019
- We are likely to leave on the evening of Friday 26th July & Return evening of Wednesday 7th August
- Saturday Arrive AM – Setup our camp, tents, mess tent. Also collect pioneering poles & build stuff!
- Sunday – Sub-Camp activities getting ready for the Opening Ceremony that evening.
- Monday – Friday Activities each day on a different zone:
- Aqua – Boat Trip, Sailing, Canoeing
- Trail – ‘Proper Scout Activities’ on & around the site. Zip line etc.
- Sports – Sports Field activities
- Hikes – Explore some of the local area
- Arts & Crafts – Building things, Drama or Dance
- Jambo Tours – A cultural trip to Amsterdam & Theme Park
- All are examples – actual programme released nearer the time
- Evenings there are areas to go and relax, take part in small activities along with parties, camp fires etc.
- Saturday is usually a day off. We will run our own activity or trip out.
- Sunday – Open day. Locals visit to see what it’s about. We put on something.
- Monday – Tuesday – More Zone activities.
- Tuesday – Closing Ceremony & Party
- Wednesday – Depart AM & travel home – Arrive Basingstoke that Evening/night.
Who can go
- Any Scout who is aged 11yrs and over on the day of departure is welcome to attend the Haarlem Jamborette.
- Any Scout leaving the Troop during the preceding school year will be welcome to join us on the trip on the understanding that they remain members of The Scout Association as Explorer Scouts.
- We are likely to leave on the evening of Friday 26th July 2019 & Return evening of Wednesday 7th August 2019
- Note: Hampshire School Holiday starts Wednesday 24th July
- Once the transport is confirmed we will also be able to finalise travel times and dates
- District are arranging travel for us and several other Troops
- Final plans are expected to be confirmed during Autumn Term 2018
- Final costs will be available shortly after this
- Estimated maximum cost £650. I have opened bookings for the trip however please note that the cost is still unconfirmed. This is due to us working with Basingstoke West District to share transport for both the Scouts and the equipment. Once these central costs are confirmed I will let you all know.
- Cost should never prevent a Scout attending any Scouting event. Should this be an issue, the District do have a fund which can be applied to for support. This fund is not infinite and we would need to put forward a detailed case if we apply and we should expect the best outcome would be a part funding of costs (not total payment). Please get in touch or ask for a private word at Scouts if you wish to discuss this.
- Costs include
- Transport from/to Basingstoke
- Camp Fees
- Meals + Drinks
- HW Haarlem Hoodie
- HW Haarlem Polo Shirts (x2)
- HW Haarlem Souvenir Badges (for blankets and swapping)
- Training Camp (likely to be in May 2019)
- The price paid does not include: General Spending Money, Souvenirs, Snacks & Drinks purchased in the evenings & at the parties. We will operate a camp bank to look after their money while on the camp.
Reserving a place & Deposit
- Invites will be sent out during the summer of 2018 with a deadline of sign up to be in the Autumn 2018.
- We require a non-refundable deposit of £50 to secure your place.
- We will be setting up a staged payment scheme to divide the cost over a number of months. Details will be available soon but we can arrange any scheme that suits you individually.
- The balance of the payments are due by May 2019.
- Do the Scouts need spending money?
- They will need spending money for any souvenirs, snacks or drinks they wish to purchase around the site and on trips out.
- We will operate a Camp Bank to look after the bulk of the money for the Scouts so that it doesn’t get lost. They will need to ask to withdraw money from it.
- Is the site secure?
- The camp is a secure, fenced site with 24hr security teams.